Zip Code

Herr House To Close For Season October 20, 2017

The Amos Herr House will close its doors for tours for the season on Sunday, Oct. 29. Tours will be conducted that day from 1 to 3:30 p.m. The home will reopen for weekend tours in April of 2018.

The 1852 homestead is located in Amos Herr Park at 1756 Nissley Road, Landisville. For more information, visit or


Presentation To Feature Marietta's First Houses October 20, 2017

James Landis To Speak At Town Talk

The Marietta Community House, 264 W. Market St., Marietta, will host "A Tale of Two Towns: Marietta's First Houses 1800-1810" as the latest installment in its Town Talk lecture series on Sunday, Oct. 29. The public is invited to the free event, which will begin at 2:30 p.m.

Speaker James C. Landis will include a slideshow presentation with his talk and will discuss the oldest houses in and around Marietta before it was incorporated as a borough in 1812. James is well known for his comprehensive research on buildings in the Marietta area. His talk will cover geographical features and physical structures, as well as economic, social, and political events that may have influenced the development of Marietta. He will also share genealogical information about the individuals who built and lived in the homes.

"Some changes that have been made over the years to familiar buildings also will be identified," explained Marietta Community House board member Margaret Landis, who James' mother. "(James') interest in local history is an ongoing avocation, and he has a talent for presenting history in a way that makes it lively and enjoyable."

James was born and raised in East Donegal Township, a quarter of a mile east of Marietta, and he has had a lifelong interest in the region. He has given numerous illustrated talks and has published articles on various historical subjects. He has inventoried the cemeteries in Marietta, is a lecturer annually at the Lancaster Family History Conference, and was co-author of the Chickies Historic District nomination to the National Register of Historic Places. Additionally, James has appeared in several productions at the Susquehanna Stage Company in Marietta.

After his presentation, audience members will have a chance to ask James questions, and light refreshments will be served.

The schedule for the 2018 Town Talk series will be announced after Monday, Jan. 1, 2018.

For more details, readers may contact Margaret at 717-426-1694 or To learn more about the Marietta Community House, interested individuals may visit


HMPS Plans Kristkindle Mart October 20, 2017

Haldeman Mansion Preservation Society (HMPS) members are gearing up for the eighth annual Kristkindle Mart on Saturday, Nov. 4, at the Bainbridge Fire Company, 34 S. Second St., Bainbridge. The community is invited to stop by the market any time between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Admission is free.

The event is modeled after traditional outdoor German Christmas markets that are often held in the streets during the four weeks of Advent leading up to Christmas - only the HMPS version is condensed into one day and takes place indoors for a warmer atmosphere. "There are a lot of neat crafts that people can buy and get a head start on shopping for Christmas or other gifts," said HMPS board member and event organizer Elaine Jackson, noting that several popular vendors from previous years will be returning.

The Kristkindle Mart will feature a variety of handmade merchandise from local artists and crafters and other unique items. This year's selection will include rocks and minerals, candles, beaded jewelry, doll clothing, baked goods, homemade caramels, stationery, wooden toys and gifts, aluminum and gourd ornaments, knitted hats and scarves, and other crafts.

Breakfast, lunch, and snack options will be available to purchase for shoppers who work up an appetite - or for anyone who would like to stop by the fire hall for a meal or treat. Menu options will include muffins, chili, chicken corn soup, hot dogs, bratwurst, applesauce, chips, and a variety of desserts and beverages.

Activities for children will include crafts and the opportunity to make holiday cards that will be mailed to military service members.

A silent auction will feature items donated by vendors and a few other goods from local businesses.

The first HMPS Kristkindle Mart took place inside the Haldeman Mansion, but the organizers later moved the location to the Bainbridge Fire Company because the mansion does not have a heating system. Board members have been faithfully working to remedy that by hosting fundraising events throughout the year, and all of the proceeds from the Kristkindle Mart will go toward the heating fund for the mansion.

To learn more or to sign up to be a vendor at the event, readers may contact Jackson at or 717-426-3794. The Kristkindle Mart is the final event of the year for the HMPS. Readers may learn more about the mansion by visiting


Historical Society Plans Meeting October 19, 2017

The Hummelstown Historical Society will meet on Monday, Oct. 16, at 6:30 p.m. at the Parish House on the corner of Rosana Avenue and North Alley in Hummelstown.

The speaker will be Linda Manwiller, who will discuss "privies" or outhouses. On display will be pictures of restored outhouses in the area and photos from the Orsini collecition. The public is welcome to attend.


Program To Highlight The Rocketones October 18, 2017

The Sadsbury Township Historical Society will meet on Monday, Nov. 6, at 7 p.m. in the Sadsbury Township Municipal Building, 2920 Lincoln Highway, Sadsburyville. Doors will open at 6:45 p.m. Admission is free, and visitors are welcome.

Guest speaker Jack Mariano will present on The Rocketones, a popular local rock 'n' roll band in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Light refreshments will be served following the program. For more information, call 717-442-9240.


Preschool Activity Series To Continue October 18, 2017

The York County History Center's new Preschool Activity Series offers fun and history for children ages 3 to 6 and their parents, grandparents, or other caregivers. The next event, titled "The Five Senses," will take place on Wednesday, Nov. 8, from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m. at the Agricultural and Industrial Museum, 217 W. Princess St., York.

The program will feature stations and exhibits throughout the museum that can be seen, touched, heard, smelled, and tasted. The activities are planned to keep preschoolers engaged and busy and to spark their imaginations and stimulate their love for learning. Each program will also include a make-and-take craft.

History Center members may attend for free, and nonmember children may attend for a fee. Nonmember caregivers may attend for free as well.

No preregistration is necessary. For more information, readers may visit or call 717-848-1587, ext. 301.


Friends Group To Host Afternoon Tea October 18, 2017

An afternoon tea will be hosted by the Friends of Springton Manor Farm on Sunday, Nov. 12, from 1 to 3 p.m. at Springton Manor Farm, 860 Springton Road, Glenmoore.

The public is invited to hear Elizabeth Bertheaud speak about "Clothes Make the Woman - 18th-Century Style" in a lighthearted presentation. Bertheaud is the historic site administrator at the Ephrata Cloister in Lancaster County and will bring authentic and reproduction examples of women's clothing.

Following the presentation, guests will be able to enjoy a tea, featuring specialty teas selected to pair with scones, salad, tea sandwiches, and sweet treats.

Proceeds will benefit the Friends of Springton Manor Farm and their mission to promote preservation, education, outreach, and cultural and community activities.

Tickets are available for purchase, and preregistration is required. For more information, including how to register, readers may email Registrants are asked to include the names of others they wish to sit with, as well as dietary restrictions.


Evans To Lead Iron Furnace Walking Tour October 18, 2017

With the advent of the "hot blast" anthracite-fired iron furnace in the 1830s, according to Rivertownes PA USA president Dave Haneman, the stretch of land between Marietta and Columbia became a hotbed of activity. Using the Susquehanna River as a conveyor of anthracite coal from northeast Pennsylvania, as well as the Pennsylvania canal and railroad systems, the eight furnaces provided "pig iron" for the quickly growing population of the United States.

The furnaces are just one element of the region's rich history that Rivertownes aims to preserve and promote. The nonprofit organization will host its biannual Iron Furnace Walking Tour from 1 to 3:30 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 5, beginning at Breezy View Overlook, 881 Chickies Hill Road, Columbia.

The tour is free to the public, but donations for the Musselman Vesta Iron Furnace Center in Marietta will be appreciated. Individuals may preregister by calling Haneman at 717-314-4060.

After an overview of the valley, attendees will drive to the Musselman Vesta Iron Furnace Center, located in the Chickies Rock County Park. The center features displays, articles, and drawings that tell the stories of the region's iron industry and the residents who made the area "the Pittsburgh of the East." Additionally, attendees will be able to view the diorama of the Musselman Vesta Furnace, which produced iron until 1926. Following time at the center, participants will step off for the walk, which will be approximately three quarters of a mile along a flat, paved surface on the Northwest Lancaster County River Trail.

Walking tour attendees will visit seven furnaces, including the Marietta Furnaces, the Donegal Furnace, and Chickies Furnaces I and II, before ending at the Henry Clay Furnace, where Dr. June Evans will discuss the archaeological digs and findings at the site.

A Hellam native, Evans is a retired archaeologist who taught at Millersville University (MU). She conducted five MU summer archaeology field schools at the site of the ruins of the Henry Clay Furnace between 1988 and 1994. The classes recovered more than 50,000 artifacts, which are cataloged and stored at the Musselman Vesta Iron Furnace Center.

Evans has been conducting furnace tours for more than 25 years.

For more information, readers may email or visit


Society Will Hold Meeting October 11, 2017

Members of the Historical Society of Salisbury Township will meet on Thursday, Oct. 19, at 7 p.m. at the Salisbury Township Building, 5581 Old Philadelphia Pike, White Horse. Gregory Scott, an architect, will speak on "C. Emlen Urban, Architect."

Everyone is welcome to attend. For more information, readers may call 717-442-4071.


Program To Focus On Toymaker October 10, 2017

Solanco Historical Society will host a presentation on Saturday, Oct. 21, at 1:30 p.m. The program will take place at the organization's Archives Building, 1932 Robert Fulton Highway, Quarryville.

Solanco Historical Society president George Stiles will present a program titled "Hubley Manufacturing Company of Lancaster." John Hubley, a poor bank teller, became a world leader in manufacturing cast-iron toys and other products despite facing challenges such as union problems, material shortages during World Wars I and II, and financial setbacks such as the Great Depression.

Stiles had a long-term education in buying, collecting, and selling antique toys and collectibles at his parents' 50-year-old resale business and at Atlantic City antique shows.

The program is free and open to the public, and the meeting room is handicapped-accessible.


Historical Society Sets Meeting October 6, 2017

The Maytown Historical Society will hold its monthly meeting on Tuesday, Oct. 17, at 7 p.m. at St. John's Lutheran Church, 11 N. Queen St., Maytown. Nick Siegert will present "How the Amish Deal With the Challenges of Technology." A business meeting will follow the program.

All are welcome to attend. For more information, readers may call 717-426-1526 and leave a message.


Rivertownes To Host Pig Iron Pedal October 6, 2017

In the second half of the 1800s and the early 1900s, the floodplain along the Susquehanna River between Marietta and Columbia was a major industrial iron center, explained Rivertownes PA USA president Dave Haneman. Pinned between the river, the canal, and the cliffs, the eight blast furnaces flourished, and the area was known as "the Pittsburgh of the East."

According to Haneman, the furnaces exemplified the technology of the period by the use of anthracite or hard coal and hot air blast that was blown into the bosh of the furnace. The eight furnaces in Lancaster County and the one in eastern York County produced pig iron, which was sent to rolling mills where Haneman said that most of the iron was converted into rail for the new railroads that crossed the states after the Civil War.

Anthracite coal used in the furnaces was brought from northeastern Pennsylvania by the Pennsylvania Canal and later the Pennsylvania Railroad. Local iron ore from the Chestnut Hill Mine (now Lake Grubb) and limestone from many quarries in Lancaster County, along with anthracite coal, were the three materials that were needed to produce iron.

To honor the area's heritage as it relates to the vibrant iron furnace industry of that time period, Rivertownes PA USA will host the annual Pig Iron Pedal from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 21, beginning at the Musselman Vesta Iron Furnace Center, 26 Furnace Road, Marietta.

The cycling event will combine a guided tour through the Musselman Furnace remains and a self-guided tour along the Northwest River Trail, with a 5.5-mile ride to Columbia and back. The trail is flat and family-friendly, and walkers are also welcome to take part in the Pig Iron Pedal.

Registration will begin at 11 a.m., and participants are asked to make a nominal donation to benefit the Iron Furnace Center's educational programs.

Individuals will be stationed at different areas along the trail to discuss the history of each particular site. The pocket-size Iron Furnace Trail Guide, which participants will receive upon registration, will detail other sites. Cycle support will be provided by a Wrightsville-area bicycle shop.

Pig Iron Pedal attendees looking for a longer route may ride an extended segment of the trail to the Bainbridge area, where the Billmeyer Limestone Quarry was located. Limestone from the Billmeyer quarry was smelted into lime dust that was used for agricultural purposes and refractory furnace bricks.

The Ragtime Willi Band will perform a variety of country and bluegrass music beginning at noon at the Musselman Vesta Iron Furnace Center. Food will be available to purchase.

"We invite all that have an interest in the history of the area (or) a love for the outdoors, those that walk or bike, and those that enjoy a good afternoon of music to plan on attending the Pig Iron Pedal," stated Haneman.

For more information on the Pig Iron Pedal, readers may call Haneman at 717-314-4060.


HPTBC Wins Award October 5, 2017

The Historic Preservation Trust of Berks County (HPTBC) has announced that its 1753 Keim House Historic Restoration Project will receive Preservation Pennsylvania's 2017 Initiative Award for Preservation Stewardship at a ceremony in Harrisburg on Thursday, Oct. 12.

The project was led by Tom and Chris Lainhoff, who authentically restored the original elements of the 1753 house using period carpentry and joining methods. In December 2016, the Keim Homestead became the county's third National Historic Landmark.

The five-year restoration campaign began with removal of the two-wall 1930s porch. After restoration of the stonework, the missing pent roof and balcony were reconstructed with authentic joinery methods and materials in dimensions provided by clear evidence from the building itself.

Expert microscopic paint analysis determined the earliest colors, which were reproduced by matching modern paints to reproduce the early finish on the balcony, windows, shutters, and cellar-cap. The plastered cove cornice was lathed and replastered on the original curved joist-brackets.

For more information or to donate, readers may call 610-385-4762 or visit


"Stories By Lantern Light" To Celebrate History October 5, 2017

Historic Wrightsville Inc. (HWI) volunteer Jeremy Young is excited about a brand-new event that the organization is introducing this fall. "It's like opening night for a new show that no one has ever seen and many people know parts of the story," remarked Young.

HWI invites community members to "Stories by Lantern Light," a guided ghost tour throughout Wrightsville, on Friday, Oct. 20, and Saturday, Oct. 21. Tours will begin at 6 and 6:30 p.m. at the Wrightsville Historical Museum, 309 Locust St., Wrightsville. Separate costs have been set for adults and students, and organizers advise that the tour is best suited for children who are at least 8 years of age. Each participant should bring a flashlight and wear comfortable shoes for walking. To register, interested individuals may call the museum at 717-252-1169. Each tour will be limited to 25 participants.

Young and HWI co-historian Lisa Burk will lead participants on the tours as they search for spirits of townsfolk from Wrightsville's past. Costumed re-enactors stationed at 10 stops along the tour will provide entertainment.

"Perhaps you will meet the 'Heroine of the Susquehanna,' as she was called by Confederate General John B. Gordon," noted Burk. "Or maybe Susanna Wright Houston will greet you as you walk through her town of Westphalia."

Wrightsville's history will unfold as tourgoers encounter anything from grieving widows and slave hunters to a Victorian funeral and a house that was actually visited by ghost hunters. Folks will have the chance to imagine what Wrightsville looked like during the American Revolution and Civil War when they visit the Union Cemetery. "You will learn about Wrightsville's past from the spirits who have witnessed and experienced its history," said Burk.

Young believes people will enjoy hearing about the town in a more human way. "It is one thing to talk about history; it is a completely different thing to hear about it from someone portraying someone who actually lived it," Young said. "That was one of my goals when writing the script. I tried to convey the historic event through the eyes of someone that was a part of it." Prior to his time volunteering with HWI, Young spent 15 years directing student musicals at Eastern York High School.

He encourages area residents to explore the town, whether they have lived here for a lifetime or are new to the area. "It's a chance to bring out your inner child, grab a flashlight and explore," Young said. "There are amazing characters to meet and interesting places to visit. Your backyard is much bigger and more interesting than you could have imagined."


The Strasburg Heritage Society will host its second workshop of the 2017-18 season on Saturday, Oct. 15, from 2 to 5 p.m. at October 4, 2017

The Strasburg Heritage Society will host its second workshop of the 2017-18 season on Sunday, Oct. 15, from 2 to 5 p.m. at 28 East Main St., Strasburg. The workshop will be the first of two tin smithing workshops to be conducted by Beth "Tin Lizzie" Feaser. The second workshop will take place in November. During the first workshop, participants will have the opportunity to make several miniature ornaments, icicles, hearts, birds and a garland intended for either a feather tree or a full-size tree. During the second workshop, participants will learn how to make a Victorian-era feather tree.

Feaser has been the tinsmith at Landis Valley Museum for the past 20 years. She has conducted several classes at the Institute of Rural Life and Culture, workshops at Landis Valley, and numerous workshops for other organizations, including one for the Strasburg Heritage Society in 2014. In 1999, she was asked to make two ornaments for the White House Christmas tree.

For more information, readers may visit All materials will be provided, but participants are asked to bring an ice pick and, if they have one, a pair of tin snips or aviator snips.

Separate fees have been set for members and for nonmembers. There is also a material fee, and the fees are payable to the instructor at the time of the workshop. A discount per workshop will be offered to participants who sign up for both the tin ornament workshop and the feather tree workshop. Participants will also receive patterns and will have opportunities to purchase additional sheet metal to complete other projects at home.

For additional information or to register, readers may contact Ann Lainhoff at 717-687-8816 or


Event To Focus On Mission Work In Tanzania October 3, 2017

Lancaster Mennonite Historical Society invites the community to attend a panel discussion at 7 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 9, at Community Mennonite Church, 328 W. Orange St., Lancaster. The discussion will focus on an American development project in Tanzania.

In 1934, Mennonites with Eastern Mennonite Missions arrived in the east Lake Region of what is now Tanzania. In addition to starting churches, they also built hospitals. Today, Shirati Mission is a center of medical and development work. During the panel discussion, attendees will learn more about the project's development and Shirati's connection to Lancaster.

The panel will be composed of the following long-time missionaries to Tanzania: Dale Ressler, Ellin Meta Brubaker, Glen Brubaker, Verle Rufenacht, and Valerie Weaver-Zercher. Kevin M. Ressler will moderate.

Dale Ressler is the volunteer executive director of Friends of Shirati. He lived in Tanzania for eight years and is married to Dorca Kisare Ressler. They attend Slate Hill Mennonite Church.

Ellin Meta Brubaker served as a nurse midwife and ran the community center in Shirati. She was born and raised in Tanzania and lived with her husband, Glen Brubaker, and their children in Shirati for 28 years. She and Glen attend Willow Street Mennonite Church.

Glen Brubaker is a retired physician and member of the Friends of Shirati board.

Rufenacht is a nurse and chair of the Friends of Shirati board. He taught at the nursing school and lived in Shirati for 29 years. He is a member of Blossom Hill Mennonite Church.

Weaver-Zercher is an editor, writer, and member of the Friends of Shirati board. She was born at the Shirati Hospital, and she and her family attend Slate Hill Mennonite Church.

Kevin M. Ressler holds a Bachelor of Arts in justice, peace, and conflict studies from Eastern Mennonite University, where he also studied theater. Both before and after those studies, he focused on using stories to help open people to longer-term solutions. He also holds a Master of Divinity.

The event is free and open to the public. No registration is necessary.


Maize And Snitz Festival To Highlight Early American Life September 29, 2017

The 1719 Hans Herr House & Museum's Maize and Snitz Festival is a celebration of early American life - both that of Native Americans and, later, European immigrants. Readers may learn about their lives and cultures on Saturday, Oct. 7, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the museum grounds, 1849 Hans Herr Drive, Willow Street.

"Maize and Snitz Festival is a great time for families to learn by watching and trying," said museum director David Schrock.

For those with an engineering inclination, there will be a variety of running farm equipment, including multiple hit-and-miss engines. A Frick steam engine and thresher, along with a bailer, will demonstrate grain processing.

There will also be a variety of other demonstrations, including Native American crafts, such as corn husk dolls and pine needle baskets, and food-related exhibitions that will feature apple butter, Native American food, and butchering. Additionally, European-based industrial demonstrations of paper marbling, bookbinding, and soap making will also take place.

Lunch will be available for purchase during the festival. The menu will include Herr House smoked sausage sandwiches, apple dumplings, assorted desserts, and more.

There is a cost for admission, with separate prices set for children ages 7 to 12 and for adults.

Maize and Snitz Festival is one of more than 50 Lancaster Roots 2017 events. Lancaster Roots combines the events of the Lancaster Mennonite Historical Society and the 1719 Hans Herr House & Museum. Through public presentations, food, music, field trips, and classes, the events aim to reveal Lancaster and its people, stories, culture, and history. To learn more, readers may visit

For more information about the Herr House and the festival, readers may visit or call 717-464-4438.


Historical Society Plans Program September 28, 2017

The Historical Society of East Hanover Township, Dauphin County, will present a program on Monday, Oct. 9, at 7 p.m. at the East Hanover Township Building, 8848 Jonestown Road, Grantville. The program is free and open to the public.

Wade and Jean Seibert will present "Quilt Voices," and they will display approximately 15 to 20 quilts. Attendees may also bring quilts of their own to show.


Society Receives Grant September 28, 2017

The Haldeman Mansion Preservation Society (HMPS) recently received a John L. Snyder Grant from the Lancaster County Community Foundation. This fund is for the restoration, maintenance, and repair of historical buildings in Lancaster and Cumberland counties. Snyder was considered a local authority of historic buildings and was very involved with the preservation of the Haldeman Mansion. He drafted the first detailed architectural history of the mansion in 1967 and was instrumental in the successful national register nomination in 1977.

The first John L. Snyder Grant was used to help replace the mansion roof with a slate roof and repair the chimneys. This year's grant will be used to replace the roof of the summer kitchen with a new wood shingle roof and to repair the exterior stonework at points along and below grade at the mansion.

The grant will cover $22,000 for the summer kitchen roof and $11,000 for the mansion foundation waterproofing.


Fall Foliage Train Rides Posted September 28, 2017

The Ma and Pa Railroad Preservation Society has posted its fall foliage train rides, which will offer opportunities for individuals to enjoy a train ride while seeing evidence of autumn in the southeastern York County countryside.

The fall foliage trains will run from noon to 4 p.m. on Saturdays, Oct. 14 and 21, and from 1 to 5 p.m. on Sundays, Oct. 8, 15, and 22. Excursions run hourly, with separate fees set for adults and for children. As the trips are known to sell out, visitors can assure seats for the train time they prefer by ordering tickets in advance at Online ticket sales will close for the day at 6 a.m., and same-day tickets can be bought at the station.

Visitors will also be able to explore the site's general store, mill, and grain elevator, and costumed docents will be present. Admission is free to the historic village and buildings.

The Ma and Pa Railroad Heritage Village is located at 1258 Muddy Creek Forks Road, Airville. Group visits and private events can be arranged by emailing

View More