Display To Highlight Road Maps September 13, 2018
The AACA Museum, 161 Museum Drive, Hershey, will highlight road maps in a display that is guest-curated by Dave Leach of the Road Map Collectors Association (RMCA). Visitors will be able to learn about collecting road maps and see a display featuring examples of early maps and later maps.
The display is being offered in conjunction with the RMCA, which will host MapCon, its annual convention, at the museum on Friday and Saturday, Sept. 21 and 22. Museum visitors are encouraged to stop by the event, and there is no additional admission charge to the convention. Readers may visit www.roadmaps.org to get connected with the RMCA, which was founded in 1994 and has several hundred members in the United States and abroad.
Other current exhibits feature Mustangs, Thunderbirds, the Prototype DeLorean, and the 1985 Modena Spyder, the vehicle in "Ferris Bueller's Day Off." Beginning in mid-November, the museum will feature "Land Yachts: Post-WWII Luxury Convertibles," along with the annual "Cars and Christmas" holiday celebration with decorated trees and model trains.
Golden Spike Ramble Posted September 11, 2018
Friends of the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania will celebrate the 150th anniversary of the completion of the transcontinental railroad on the Golden Spike Ramble to Utah from Wednesday, May 8, through Sunday, May 12, 2019. Travelers will witness a re-creation of the historic "wedding of the rails," with the fully functional replica steam locomotives Jupiter and No. 119 during this occasion held at Promontory Summit.
The Rocky Mountains will be the setting for this customized trip. Golden Spike Ramble highlights include rides on the Heber Valley Historic Railroad, the Snowbird Ski and Summer Resort's aerial tram, and the Front Runner high-speed commuter train, as well as visits to the Natural History Museum, Antelope State Park, the Great Salt Lake, Hill Air Force Base's Aerospace Museum, the Family History Library genealogical research facility, Ogden Union Station, the Utah State Railroad Museum, and the Golden Spike National Historic Site. A tour of Salt Lake City's famous sites, time to explore the destination resort town of Park City, and a performance by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir will also be featured.
The cost of the trip includes roundtrip airfare from the Newark International Airport to Salt Lake City, four nights of hotel accommodations, six meals, and a local tour guide. There is a discount for current Friends of the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania members. The deadline for registration is Saturday, Dec. 1.
The Golden Spike Ramble brochure and registration details are available at www.rrmuseumpa.org. Registrations will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Readers may call after the deadline to determine if spaces are still available.
Museum Expands Blue Star Program September 6, 2018
The National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc. (NAWCC) National Watch and Clock Museum, 514 Poplar St., Columbia, has expanded its Blue Star Museums summer program to offer free, year-round admission for active-duty military personnel and their families, including the National Guard and Reserves. Each summer since 2010, the Blue Star Families organization has promoted free museum admission events with museums across America under the Blue Star Museums program, supported by the NEA and the Department of Defense.
Funding for the Blue Star Museums program expansion is provided by a grant from the Pryor & Arlene Neuber Charitable Trust through the PNC Charitable Trusts Grant Review Committee. More details about the Blue Star Museums program are available at www.arts.gov/national/blue-star-museums.
The NAWCC is a museum, research library, educational institution, and international community dedicated to clocks, watches, time, and timekeeping. The museum explores timekeeping through multiple exhibits, special presentations, and more than 12,000 treasures of time.
From April through November, the NAWCC National Watch and Clock Museum is open from Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Sundays from noon to 4 p.m. From December through March, hours are Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. From Memorial Day through Labor Day, the museum is also open on Mondays. Groups of 10 or more people are encouraged to call ahead. For more information, readers may call 717-684-8261 or visit www.museumoftime.org.
Tongate Named Volunteer Of The Year August 30, 2018
The National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc. (NAWCC) has named Lancaster County resident Clayton Tongate its Volunteer of the Year for his contribution of time to the Fortunat Mueller-Maerki Library and Research Center and the NAWCC National Watch and Clock Museum building and grounds.
Tongate has volunteered many hours in the library and museum grounds over the past year as a volunteer member of the library staff, conducting research for reference questions, lending a hand in circulation, and spearheading the effort to clear the basement shelves to prepare for the installation of the new archival rolling shelves, according to library and archives supervisor Sara Butler-Tongate.
Volunteers are the lifeblood of the NAWCC National Watch and Clock Museum and the Fortunat Mueller-Maerki Library and Research Center. Dozens of volunteers donate thousands of hours, contributing significantly to the achievement of the NAWCC's mission. The volunteers provide much of the manpower needed for daily operations, programs, special projects, and events. From event planning to education, and exhibit construction to archival research, volunteers get involved at various levels that fit the individuals' time and commitment availability.
To volunteer, readers may call Abby Krouse at 717-684-8261, ext. 234, to request an application. The application is also available at www.museumoftime.org.
Local History Programs Slated August 22, 2018
LancasterHistory.org, 230 N. President Ave., Lancaster, will offer a variety of programs and events during September. Unless noted otherwise, there is a cost to participate. Advance tickets are recommended. More details and ticket information are available at www.lancasterhistory.org or by calling 717-392-4633.
On Saturday, Sept. 1, African-American Heritage Walking Tours will be offered at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Attendees will learn about abolitionists, Underground Railroad agents, preachers, and entrepreneurs in downtown Lancaster. An expert tour guide will take visitors to important places in African-American history. Tours will last 90 minutes. Tickets are available for purchase on Sept. 1 at the Lancaster City Visitor Center, 38 Penn Square, Lancaster.
"Anything But Agreeable," a Living History at Wheatland program, will offer tours on the hour on Sept. 1 from noon to 3 p.m. In this first-person presentation, visitors will be transported back to 1866 to meet Wheatland's new cook, Rosanna Gordon, and discover why her husband was described as "anything but agreeable."
A Curator's Talk program titled "Paxton Boys and Relations Among Native Americans and European-Americans in Lancaster" will start at 2:30 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 13. The program will also take a close look at artifacts relating to the relationships between Native Americans and European-Americans in Lancaster during the colonial era.
The Regional History Colloquium, set for Sept. 13, will feature the book launch of "Frontier Rebels: The Fight for Independence in the American West." At 4 p.m., a reception and book signing will take place, followed by the main presentation by Dr. Patrick Spero from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. in Ryder Hall. Spero will share about the "Black Boys," a rebellion on the American frontier in 1765 that sparked the American Revolution. The program is free and open to the public, but it requires advance registration to guarantee a seat.
The Tanger Arboretum's Reception Under the Trees will be held from 5 to 8 p.m. in the beech grove along N. President Avenue on Friday, Sept. 14. Light refreshments will be served, and tours of the arboretum will be available. This event is free for Tanger Arboretum members, but there is a fee for non-members. The rain date is scheduled for Friday, Sept. 21. Reservations and payment can be directed to Cindy Madara at firstname.lastname@example.org or ext. 122.
The Presidential Lecture Series will present "1858: The Fateful (Fatal) Year for Buchanan's Presidency?" on Friday, Sept. 28, in Ryder Hall. A reception will open the event at 4 p.m., followed by the main presentation from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. Dr. Randall Miller's presentation will explore the variety of challenges faced by President James Buchanan during his second year in office. Among these challenges, Miller will focus upon two particular topics: the impact of the President's support of the Lecompton Constitution and the Democratic Party's losses during the 1858 mid-term elections. The event is free and open to the public.
On Saturday, Sept. 29, at 11 a.m., a story time for children will be offered featuring "Henry's Freedom Box." Participants will experience history through stories and hands-on activities. Then, an activity or craft inspired by the day's theme will be available. This program is designed for children ages 4 to 9, but all children are welcome to attend. The program is free for children and accompanying adults, but reservations are required.
Vehicle To Appear At Event August 16, 2018
For the first time since being moved to the AACA Museum Inc. in Hershey in 2014, Tucker 1026 is off-site getting ready to attend the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, a collector car competition in California, where it will be on view on Sunday, Aug. 26. Tucker 1026 is the only surviving Tucker with an automatic transmission out of only two ever produced by the Tucker Corporation. The Tucker factory test chassis will also be on view for visitors at this same event.
In the mid-1940s, Preston Tucker and his Chicago-based Tucker Corporation set out to revolutionize the automobile industry, designing and building 51 examples of an innovative rear-engine sedan with an array of safety features. The company ceased operations in 1949.
The Pebble Beach Classic Car Forum will include "The Truth About Tucker," a program featuring Tucker experts.
Tucker 1026 has not been driven in many years and required extensive preparation for the event. It will be driven onto the field at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance by Mark Lieberman, AACA Museum board member and position director for the Tucker Automobile Club of America (TACA). He is also TACA's technical adviser and historian.
For more information on TACA, the AACA Museum, or Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance, readers may visit www.tuckerclub.org, www.aacamuseum.org, or www.pebblebeachconcours.net, respectively.
Museum To Exhibit Thunderbirds August 16, 2018
The AACA Museum, 161 Museum Drive, Hershey, has announced that a 1957 Thunderbird with a Birdnest rumble seat is on display in its Williams-Clyne Gallery. A 1962 Thunderbird Convertible is also slated to be on display in the International Thunderbird Club (ITC) exhibit. The exhibit is guest curated by ITC president Gerard "Bart" Bartasavich.
The 1957 Thunderbird was restored by Prestige Thunderbird of California in 1988. The vehicle, which once had room for a spare tire in the trunk, now uses the space for seating. The Duck Rose vehicle had both tops and air conditioning added. It was featured in the Ray Miller book "Thunderbird!" The vehicle is on loan by Ed Blumenthal of Lafayette Hill.
The 1962 Thunderbird Convertible was found after 43 years in storage. Once the body restoration process was completed by Chris Robinson Restorations, the vehicle was relocated to Eagle River, Wis., where the owner, Jerry Magayne, began the final assembly.
Previously on display were a 1957 Battlebird Thunderbird and a 1965 Thunderbird. The vehicles are part of a rotating display.
For more information on the AACA Museum, readers may visit www.AACAMuseum.org. Details about the ITC are available at www.intl-thunderbirdclub.com/.
Center To Close On Labor Day August 15, 2018
All sites of the York County History Center, 250 E. Market St., York, will be closed on Monday, Sept. 3, for the Labor Day holiday. The museums will reopen on Tuesday, Sept. 4.
For information on programming and museum exhibits, readers may visit www.yorkhistorycenter.org.
Tibbels Named To Board August 6, 2018
Steam Into History, based in New Freedom, has welcomed Jeff Tibbels as a member of its board of directors.
Tibbels is a senior legal executive, strategist, adviser and business leader currently serving the P.H. Glatfelter Company in York as assistant general counsel. His career includes a diverse legal background in multicultural, multilingual and international environments.
Tibbels holds a Juris Doctorate and Master of Arts in international affairs from American University in Washington, D.C., as well as a Bachelor of Arts in modern European history and Slavic studies from Wesleyan University in Middletown, Conn.
Tibbels is also an active volunteer and community leader. He is currently a coach for the Baltimore Youth Hockey Club in Reisterstown, Md., and formerly served as a team leader with Search for the Cure, a fundraising team for pediatric leukemia research.
For more information about Steam Into History, readers may visit www.steamintohistory.com, search for "Steam Into History Inc." on Facebook or call 717-942-2370.
Mill Slates Demonstration Day August 2, 2018
The Mill at Anselma, 1730 Conestoga Road, Chester Springs, will honor educators on Saturday, Aug. 11, by granting free admission to public and private school faculty, staff, and administrators and their families. Visitors should present a valid school ID for the discount.
Resources will be also be available to help educators integrate the mill into their curriculum from the perspectives of industry, science, and history. Demonstration Day will be held at the mill on Aug. 11 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. During this time, the water wheel will run and grain will be milled by stone.
For more information about the mill, including volunteer opportunities, readers may contact Will Caverly at email@example.com.
EMMR Posts 43rd Convention July 31, 2018
The Eastern Museum of Motor Racing (EMMR) will hold its 43rd annual EMMR Convention from Friday to Sunday, Aug. 11 to 13, at the Latimore Valley Fairgrounds, 100 Baltimore Road, York Springs.
EMMR will honor the late Harry Fletcher this year. Throughout his racing career, Fletcher had many notable drivers: Diz Dean; Johnny Grum; Stevie Smith Sr.; and Harry's son, Bobby Fletcher, and grandson, Cody. In 1997 he was named Adams County Farmer of the Year. Harry and his family shared their love of racing and farming with their friends and community.
On Aug. 11 from 1 to 3 p.m., there will be a roundtable discussion with grand marshals, Joe Heisler Jr. and Joe Heisler III. The topic will be "Racing in the '40s and '50s." Both the Heislers have served on the EMMR board and still contribute to the organization.
In the afternoon on Saturday, Aug. 12, and Aug. 13, visitors may watch the restored cars participate in exhibition racing around the historic Latimore Valley Speedway. The Inliners International will also have a display.
In the morning on Aug. 13, EMMR will hold its membership meeting and the introduction of the grand marshals, followed by a tribute to Harry Fletcher and his family.
Aug. 12 will be the annual Cruise-In Night at the museum from 3 to 8 p.m. All vehicles and makes are welcome. The event will include food, music, giveaway drawings, special games, awards, and a Chinese auction. Plaques will be given to the first 100 participants. There is a registration fee, with a smaller fee for those who preregister. There will be a grand door prize drawing for the preregistered cars. The museum will be open. Admission is free. Those who arrive early can take advantage of track time with the vintage race cars from 1 to 3 p.m. The rain date for the cruise will be Aug. 13 from 3 to 8 p.m.
For more information and to arrange tours, readers may email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.emmr.org.
EMMR is dedicated to the preservation of the history of motor racing in America. EMMR not only honors significant people and vehicles of the past but also the historic speedways, fairgrounds, drag car organizations, vintage motorcycles, and the Gettysburg AACA Region.
Lancaster Museum Slates Programs July 25, 2018
LancasterHistory.org, 230 N. President Ave., Lancaster, will offer a variety of programs in August. There is a cost to attend, unless otherwise noted. For more details, including tickets, readers may visit www.lancasterhistory.org or call 717-392-4633. Advance tickets are highly recommended for most programs.
On Saturday, Aug. 4, the Living History at Wheatland program, "The Trans-Atlantic Cable: The Eighth Wonder of the World," will take place. In this first-person presentation, visitors will be transported back to August 1858 as President Buchanan and family celebrate the completion of the Trans-Atlantic Cable. The completion of the cable connected President Buchanan in the United States with Queen Victoria in the United Kingdom, a feat that many newspapers called the "Eighth Wonder of the World." Presentations will be on the hour from noon to 2 p.m. and last about a half hour.
A new children's program, the Summer Storytime Series, will begin on Tuesday, Aug. 7, at 11 a.m. In conjunction with the summer exhibition, "Amending America," the program will offer stories about civil rights, freedom, creating the U.S. Constitution, and what it means to be an American. Children will also have the opportunity to make a fun history-themed craft or activity. This program is designed for children age 3 and up, but it is ideal for elementary school children. The program is free for children with an accompanying adult. Registration is requested.
A curator's tour of the "Amending America: The Bill of Rights" exhibit will take place at 3 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 9. The exhibit focuses on the 14th Equal Protection Amendment and its author, Pennsylvania Congressman Thaddeus Stevens. Stevens was a vigorous advocate of public education and abolition and a supporter of the Underground Railroad.
Tanger Arboretum's Nature Series will feature "Insects" at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 18. A parks naturalist will lead participants in the exploration of insects crawling, hopping, and flying about the Tanger Arboretum. Participants will learn how to attract butterflies and caterpillars. The event will take place rain or shine.
The Lunchtime Lecture Series will feature "Breaking Through: The Barney Ewell Story" at noon in Ryder Hall at Friday, Aug. 24. LancasterHistory.org National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship recipient Jeremiah Miller will show and answer questions about his 50-minute documentary, "Breaking Through: The Barney Ewell Story." Ewell emerged as a track and field prodigy while growing up in the city of Lancaster, earning recognition around the country, and became the fastest man in the world while running for Penn State, breaking the world record for the 50-yard dash with a time of five seconds flat. The event is free, but registration is required by Monday, Aug. 20.
Go-at-Your-Own-Pace Tours of Wheatland will take place on Saturday, Aug. 25. Tour entries will begin every 15 minutes from 1 to 3 p.m. Visitors will be allowed to wander the house at their own speed, asking questions of the guides posted in the different rooms.
Railroad Offers Open-Air Car July 25, 2018
After 10 months of construction by volunteers of the Friends of the Stewartstown Railroad, a new open-air excursion car is ready for use. The car, based upon a Pennsylvania Railroad F30A flatcar, was donated to the Friends by the Norfolk Southern Railroad and transported by truck to the Stewartstown Railroad, where the Friends cleared off steel decking and built a new wood and steel center-bench passenger car. It is roofed and has roller-bearing trucks.
The car will be used for its inaugural runs and then will be pressed into excursion service. It will be used on the railroad year-round whenever weather and passenger needs arise. The new car is also available for private charter.
For more information, readers may visit www.StewartstownRailroadCo.com or contact Mike Ruane at email@example.com or 201-888-8441.
Tours To Highlight Chester County Sites July 18, 2018
For the 24th consecutive summer, free walking tours are being offered throughout Chester County as part of the Town Tours and Village Walks program. The tours began in West Chester on June 14 and will continue to run on Thursday evenings through Aug. 30.
Tours usually last 50 minutes and begin at 5:30 p.m. The last tour is generally held at 7 p.m. All tours are free of charge and include light refreshments.
The tours are sponsored by Chester County's Board of Commissioners through the Chester County Planning Commission, the Chester County Historical Society, Westtown Township, the Chester County Historic Preservation Network and the Chester County Conference and Visitors Bureau.
The scheduled tour on July 26 will feature the Mill at Anselma. The mill, located at 1730 Conestoga Road (Route 401), Chester Springs, is a Colonial-era custom grist mill that served its local agricultural community for around 250 years.
On Aug. 2, the tour will take place at the Phoenix Iron Company, 2 N. Main St., Phoenixville. Attendees will be able to learn about the Phoenix Column, which was used in the construction of bridges throughout the world.
The Maple Lawn Farm, 380 Forest Manor Road, Cochranville, will be the featured tour stop on Aug. 9. There will be a display of farm equipment from the late 1800s and early 1900s, as well as some of the modern combines and tractors used today. A blacksmith will be on hand to demonstrate the forging of farm implements and horseshoes.
On Aug. 16, the tour will be held at Fricks Lock Historic District in East Coventry Township, and on Aug. 30, visitors will be able tour the Bondsville Mill in East Brandywine Township.
New this year as part of the series will be a supper and lecture at Historic Yellow Springs, 1685 Art School Road, Chester Springs, on Aug. 23 from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Preservation architect Dan Campbell will speak about the history of milling in southeastern Pennsylvania. Advance reservations are required, and the fee includes the lecture, a box supper and refreshments, as well as a guided tour of the grounds after dinner, weather permitting. For reservations, readers may call 610-344-6923 or email Karen Marshall, heritage preservation coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Space is limited.
For more information about the Town Tours and Village Walks, including maps and directions to the tour sites, readers may visit www.chesco.org/planning/towntours or contact Marshall to obtain an event brochure.
Model T Driving Experience Open July 18, 2018
AACA Museum, 161 Museum Drive, Hershey, will offer the community the opportunity to drive an antique car.
After instruction in proper driving technique, individuals will be invited to drive a Model T. Driving experiences are available at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, July 18, and at 8 a.m. on Saturdays, July 21 and 28, Aug. 4 and 11, Sept. 8 and 9, and Oct. 20.
There is a cost to participate, and reservations are required. For more information on the Model T Driving Experience, readers may visit www.aacamuseum.org. AACA Museum members should call Andrea Beshara at 717-566-7100, ext. 101, to register.
Landis Valley Posts Summer Options July 13, 2018
Landis Valley Village and Farm Museum, 2451 Kissel Hill Road, Lancaster, will offer options for group outings during the summer.
Landis Valley's interactive options include short craft classes or wagon rides, with light refreshment add-on options available, as well.
Tour possibilities include a Pennsylvania German Foodways Tour, which includes food tastings. Make-and-Take Traditional Crafts Tours offer a simple introduction to a craft and a sample-size project. Options for the Make-and-Take tours include weaving, penny rugs, tin punching, scherenschnitte (Pennsylvania German scissor cutting), and paper stars.
The Wagon Ride tour of Landis Valley provides visitors with the opportunity to see its farm fields, historic breed animals, and parts of the site not seen on the regular tours. The Behind the Scenes tour of the collections gallery offers visitors a peek at the museum artifacts accompanied by a Landis Valley curator. The Heirloom Seed Project tour of the production greenhouses and gardens in season is available on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
A Character Interaction program gives visitors the chance to learn about different aspects of Pennsylvania German life. During the holiday season, the Belsnickel tour is a holiday treat featuring the cranky cousin of Santa Claus. The Farm Woman tour presents an 18th-century clothing demonstration in a fun and immersive way.
Tours require a minimum of 10 people, and all tours include the introductory movie and highlight tour of Landis Valley with a costumed guide. Interested visitors may add a lunch, dinner, or Victorian tea in the Landis Valley House Hotel for an additional fee; however, a minimum of 20 tour guests is required for meals. For pricing and availability, readers may contact Jamie Schuring at 717-581-0590 or Terry Kreider at 717-569-0401, ext. 276.
In the summer, many children visit Landis Valley as part of their summer camp field trips. Activity options for summer campers include three hands-on workshops appropriate for children ages 5 to 11. Children may visit the one-room schoolhouse, take part in the farm child sampler, and learn about wool-to-weaving techniques.
Camp group tours are available through August. Landis Valley features amenities for camping groups such as a large parking lot; a large, a shaded picnic grove area; two large, air-conditioned buildings; a 13-minute orientation video; and a site-wide scavenger hunt.
Campers and staff will receive discounted admission rates; however, a minimum of 10 campers is required. Groups will receive one free adult admission per 10 campers. For more information about summer camp options or to register, readers may contact Sheri Brown at 717-569-0401, ext. 228.
Museum To Exhibit Thunderbird July 12, 2018
AACA Museum Inc., 161 Museum Drive, Hershey, has announced the arrival of a new Thunderbird in its Williams-Clyne Gateway Gallery, courtesy of the International Thunderbird Club (ITC). A 1965 Ford Thunderbird has arrived and is on loan from Susan Sganga of New Jersey. The exhibit is guest curated by the president of the International Thunderbird Club, Gerard "Bart" Bartasavich.
The 1965 Thunderbird, a two-door hardtop Landau, was built at the Wixom, Mich., assembly plant. The vehicle was then delivered to Country Side Motors located in Springfield where it was sold. Since then, the Thunderbird has been restored to its original exterior color, diamond blue with its original blue vinyl Landau top.
The 1965 Thunderbird body, glass and trim, and chrome are in great condition for the age of the car. Its original interior is finished in turquoise blue. It also has a unique slide-away steering wheel. It is powered by the original 390 CID with more than 300 horsepower mated to a three-speed dual range automatic transmission and a 3:00:1 Rear Axle Gear Ratio.
A total of 20,974 Landaus No. 63B were produced in 1965. According to the Thunderbird Registry, this is one of only 1,126 registered Thunderbird Landaus remaining and documented in the world.
This 1965 Thunderbird is replacing the 1963 Principality of Monaco Thunderbird in the rotating exhibit. Other featured exhibits include Mustangs: Six Generations of America's Favorite Pony Car, and a 1985 Modena Spyder better known as the Ferris Bueller "Ferrari" in the Historic Vehicle Association Display.
For more information on exhibits at the AACA museum, readers may visit www.aacamuseum.org.
Author Will Present Lecture July 5, 2018
On Thursday, July 26, Rock Ford Plantation will welcome author Jeffrey Finegan, who will present the lecture "My Dear General: The Extraordinary Relationship Between George Washington and the Marquis de Lafayette." The lecture is based on Finegan's young reader's book about the father-son relationship forged between Washington and the young French aristocrat who traveled from France to fight in the American Revolution.
"My Dear General" joins Finegan's two previous works to complete a three-part series titled I Knew George Washington. Each of the books looks at the life of Washington through the perspective of historic figures who were closely associated with him. A native of New Jersey, Finegan has conducted lectures and book signings at Colonial Williamsburg, National Historic Parks, the American Revolution Museum at Yorktown, and Washington Crossing Historic Park.
This lecture will begin promptly at 5:30 p.m. and will be held in the Rock Ford Barn. Reservations are not required, but seating is limited. Admission is free for members of the Rock Ford Foundation, and a set fee will be charged to nonmembers. All proceeds from the event will benefit Rock Ford Plantation, 881 Rockford Road, Lancaster. The historic property is open for tours on Tuesdays through Sundays from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. from April to October. For more information, readers may visit www.rockfordplantation.org or call 717-392-7223.